notes from a friday

We did a learning session on the city’s iconic buildings at the Museum of Liverpool today. I rushed to get everything ready this morning — breakfast! lunch! the baby pooped! my bag isn’t packed! — since I didn’t make it a point to get up earlier than we usually do. I wore my rain boots, as it’d rained this morning and I only have religious (holey) shoes that make my socks and feet damp if the ground’s wet. Of course, the sun had to come out and the skies had to become blue, so I felt a bit silly clomping all over the museum in boots. But I was vindicated on the way home when the clouds burst open, so ha!

It was a good interactive session, complete with a collage activity at the end. I find the Key Stage 1 sessions tend to work better for Raspberry as they’re more hands-on, even though she’s fully able to comprehend Key Stage 2 material. We go to a mix of KS1 and KS2 sessions so she can get the best of both worlds.

After lunch, we went into Little Liverpool with the other homeschoolers — it’s our second time there in two weeks. Ares woke up from his nap just in time for that. We hung out in the baby area, but I don’t think he’s all that interested in the limited toys there. He tries to crawl out the first chance he gets. I don’t think I saw the likes of Raspberry the whole half-hour we were in there. That’s how much fun she was having.

I’d initially thought we’d spend the entire day out, as Raspberry had repeatedly indicated for the past week that she wanted to go to capoeira tonight. It’s been at least a month since we last went. When we first started going to capoeira in February, I thought Raspberry would take to it, since she likes a lot of the motions involved. But she only seems to be mildly interested in it. For a while, we were going regularly since Aurelie’s kids were going too, but since they’ve moved away, we’ve only gone a handful of times. Raspberry has expressed an interest in getting more into capoeira a number of times but she hasn’t quite made the effort to do so. The last time we went, the instructor asked if we were going to attend the testing session and I declined, stating that I didn’t think she was passionate enough about capoeira to be tested (not to mention, it cost £30 too!). Moreover, with our sporadic attendence, I don’t think her skills were quite polished enough to be scrutinized either.

Anyhow, like I said, I thought we’d be out the entire day, with the learning session, hanging out with our friends, and then capoeira. But it worked out that we had enough time to head home for something to eat. Before realizing this, I threw out the idea of maybe hanging out in the Tate’s family room for a bit and Raspberry really wanted to do that, so she was less than pleased about leaving the docks to head home. We were just at the Tate last week and I thought it was more important for us to get some food in our bellies and to unwind a bit at home than to do lots in the day.

Capoeira was all right. Despite her interest all week in wanting to go, Raspberry’s attention span seemed to wane after the first half-hour, after all her excited running commentary. That seems to happen every time. I chatted with a couple of other mothers and Ares alternated between being cute with them and trying to put Raspberry’s shoes in his mouth.

I think this was the first evening this week when I didn’t have sole responsibility in figuring out what to have for dinner. Our meal-planning is so erratic and we only do so about half the time. This was one of those weeks when we let it fall to the wayside. Tired of deciding what to have — the weight of the decision is the worst — I just didn’t bother and let Lucas figure it out when he came home. He made sweet potato stew; Raspberry smelled its distinctive aroma right when we stepped in the door. Ares tried some for the first time tonight. He hasn’t had any soups or stews yet. I tried to preload a spoon for him, placing it on his tray (because we’re doing baby-led weaning, he won’t let me feed him anything. Rather, he takes whatever I’d like to feed him in his hand), and showing him with my own spoon what to do with it. He decided to pick up the contents with his hand instead. Fair enough. Our first adventure with a stew ended up with a trip into the shower, which should’ve been expected.

And so ends our Friday. As I type this, I can tell my upstairs neighbour has invited a herd of lead-footed elephants to march through his apartment. Thank goodness the baby’s still sleeping through it. Good night!


4 responses

  1. “my upstairs neighbour has invited a herd of lead-footed elephants to march through his apartment” HAHAHAHA! This is the best.

    December 8, 2014 at 12:54 pm

  2. qou

    Stinkin cute, those 2

    December 11, 2014 at 5:24 am

    • They have their moments! :)

      December 13, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s